Bird in Flight Prize ‘19

Bird in Flight Prize ‘19 Finalist: 50 UAH

Project by Ukrainian photographer Roman Pashkovskiy shortlisted for Bird in Flight Prize ‘19.

Roman Pashkovskiy, Ukraine

“50 UAH” is an ongoing project, portraying the people, whom we usually fail to notice. Their lives often stuck between poverty and begging.

Kyiv-based author explains: “To distill this social layer, I spread DIY leaflets throughout the city. It stated that I will pay 50 UAH (1,8 USD) to anyone who will come to my studio and will have his portrait taken, and that age and appearance don’t matter. One question followed the session–”How will you spend the money?” The answers were surprisingly moving and honest.”

50 UAH (Ukrainian currency) or 1,8 USD is relatively small amount of money in Ukraine. But for some, this is a significant amount. So, heroes were ready to commute long distances to get to his studio.

Alla Pavlovna – 82yo, will spend money on fruits. Persimmon is her favorite.
Eugene – 21yo, unemployed, will spend money on cigarettes, Camel or Bond
Alexander – 30yo, will spend money on throat ache medicine
Anatoly – 37yo, will spend money on chocolate for my beloved daughter
Anna Borisovna – 45yo, will spend money on mobile phone or internet credit
Oleg Viktorovich – 43yo, will spend money on 150 grams of my child's favorite waffle cake
Oksana – 42yo, will spend money on cookies for her child, will give some to her child as pocket money for school
Julia – 38yo, will spend money to buy cheese with holes and a banana
Ivan – 41yo, will spend money on cigarettes, eggs, bread, Pepsi
Ludmila – 58yo, will spend money on public transport. “50 UAH is nothing nowadays”
Anatoly – 46yo, will add money to pay off the loan for the jacket he is wearing
Vladislava – 17yo, will spend money to save on a slow cooker, a gift for her mom

Others project materials

New and best

1 150

Read more